Wednesday, May 6, 2009

The first time I did my interview with Keppel, I was notified of the next assessment the following day. It has been almost an entire week since the last assessment and I have yet to receive any updates. I think that means it's bye bye to the Keppel scholarship, and well, basically to all my hopes of getting a scholarship.

Some people don't think I am very ambitious. Maybe I'm not. But I like pushing for more each time I reach some new level of achievement, whatever it may be. When I did my A's, I thought, yea, just let me get a double degree in SMU and I'll be glad enough. Now that that has happened, I find myself looking for a scholarship - and its not as if my parents can't afford my uni education. Yes there is prestige in a scholarship, there is a brighter future blah blah. But I think what makes me want the scholarship this badly now, is just so I have some tangible proof of my abilities. I did well for my A's, I play the electone, I'm doing volunteer work, I was a councilor, I run and I have good friends. I think I sound impressive (or at least I somehow managed to sound impressive to my interviewer), but really, I don't think I am that impressive. I'm just an average student who happened to get into a good school and to get many opportunities. But who wouldn't want to think they have potential for more? Who wouldn't want to see themselves grow and suprise themselves with what they can actually do?

I wouldn't say I am very easily contented. I have my dreams and my aspirations. But I am a realistic person; I've always been. If this is what I am capable of doing now, fine. I'm perfectly fine with that. But it doesn't mean that I'm not keen, not on the look-out for more. I wanna push my boundaries and suprise myself with what I can, or cannot do.

Perhaps that's the most important lesson to bring home from all the applications: To experience, discover and appreciate what I see in myself. I've never taken failure too well. But I think I'm slowly understanding that it's perfectly fine to fail. We all have our weaknesses. No one expects a perfect human being. And without this fear, I won't be afraid to take on challenges, to live life to the fullest.

Maybe (or rather, most likely), I'll end up without a scholarship. But so what? I'll make sure my uni life is just as, if not even more vibrant.

2 Comments:

Anonymous ngehwee said...

hallo! keppel is 3 rounds is it? dun worry, 1st and 2nd round usually quite near to each other, third round (if its the meet management level one) usually will be later, so dun lose hope yet! (:

these few months also made me realise that i dun take failures very well too, but it has also taught me not to be discouraged by my failures. failing once or twice doesnt mean we can't do it, we've just got to keep trying! (:

May 8, 2009 at 12:29 AM  
Blogger geraldine said...

I only just read your post for the first time today and I have to say that it came at a really good time haha. thanks for writing it even if you didn't know I would need it! lol <3

May 8, 2009 at 7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home